• Apply Now
  • Portal to Graduate Programs
  • The Graduate Catalog
  • Non-Degree Seeking and Special Graduate Admission Options

    Advanced Special Student Status

    Although the primary mission of the Graduate School is to conduct programs of graduate instruction leading to advanced degrees, the Graduate Faculty will admit qualified Non-Degree students as Advanced Special Students, to the extent that resources allow.

    Advanced Special Students are ineligible to receive merit-based financial aid from the University, including graduate fellowships and teaching, research, or administrative assistantships.

    Applying as an Advanced Special Student

    To apply, you must submit a completed application and pay the $75 application fee.

    Click here for the Online Application

    The Graduate School requires each applicant to submit official transcripts showing a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution AND meet one (1) of the following admissions criteria:

    · have achieved a cumulative 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) average for work done at the undergraduate level; OR
    · have earned a master’s, doctoral, or a post-baccalaureate professional degree (M.D., J.D., D.V.M., etc.) from a regionally accredited institution; OR
    · have attained a score that places the applicant in the upper 50th percentile of an appropriate national standardized aptitude examination such as the GRE, GMAT, or Miller Analogies Test ;  OR
    · provide a letter of support from the Graduate Director of the degree program in which the applicant plans to take a course.

    Advanced Special Student applicants interested in establishing Maryland Residency should complete the Residency Classification Form; by default, all Advanced Special Students who do not complete this form will be charged out-of-state tuition. For information on Residency Classification, including requirements for Maryland Residency, please click here.


    The deadline for application as an Advanced Special Student is the first day of classes for the semester in which you plan to attend.
    The University’s Academic Calendar, listing when each term begins, is available by clicking here.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    I’m an international student; can I apply for Advanced Special Student status?
    If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident and have a questions about whether you are eligible to apply to study as an Advanced Special Student, please contact International Student and Scholar Services.

    My baccalaureate degree is from a nationally-recognized institution outside of the United States. Am I required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score to apply for Advanced Special Student status?
    The same requirements for submission of the TOEFL or IELTS that apply to degree-seeking students apply to applicants for Advanced Special Student status. Please click here for the latest TOEFL and IELTS requirements.

    How long can I remain an Advanced Special Student?
    Admission to Advanced Special Student status will continue for five years. If there is no registration in two consecutive academic semesters (Fall and Spring), the admitted status will lapse and a new application will be required.

    Will being an Advanced Special Student affect future admissions decisions?
    Successful completion of courses taken as an Advanced Special Student does not guarantee admission to a graduate degree or certificate program. Each program may accept such courses in satisfaction of program requirements to a maximum of twelve (12) credits, contingent on admission to the degree or certificate program and on the approval of the faculty in the program. For consideration of admission to a degree program at a later time, the student must submit a new application.

    I’ve completed a semester as an Advanced Special Student and want to apply to a degree program. What steps must I take and how can I have my Advanced Special Student credits transferred to my degree program if accepted?
    Please contact your prospective graduate degree program for information on applying Advanced Special Student credits to graduate degrees.

    Can my Advanced Special Student status be revoked?
    Advanced Special Students must maintain a 2.75 grade point average. Advanced Special Students whose grade point average falls below 2.75 will not be permitted to register.

    Am I able to use campus services as an Advanced Special Student?
    Advanced Special Students are entitled to use the same services accorded to other graduate students, such as parking, library privileges, and use of the campus athletic facilities.

    What fees are associated with being an Advanced Special Student?
    Advanced Special Students must pay all standard graduate tuition and fees for all courses, including undergraduate classes. For further information regarding tuition and fees, please visit http://www.umd.edu/bursar.

    Can Advanced Special Students hold assistantships on campus?
    Students in this status are not eligible to hold appointments as Graduate Fellows or Graduate Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistants, or to receive other forms of merit-based financial aid.

    What is the deadline to apply and to register for courses?
    The deadline for application as an Advanced Special Student is the first day of classes for the semester in which you plan to attend. Please click here for each semester’s registration deadlines.

    Visiting Graduate Student Status

    A graduate student matriculated in another graduate school who wishes to enroll in the Graduate School of the University of Maryland and who intends to return to the graduate school in which he or she is matriculated, may be admitted as a Visiting Graduate Student.  To apply, the applicant must submit a completed application and pay the $75 application fee. Transcripts, letters of recommendation, and test scores are not required. In lieu of transcripts, the applicant must submit a letter from the Graduate Dean at the applicant’s home institution confirming that the applicant is in good academic standing and that courses taken at the University of Maryland will be transferred to the home institution.

    Golden Identification Card for Senior Citizens of Maryland

    The University’s services and courses are available without charge to citizens who are residents of the State of Maryland, 60 years of age or older, and retired (retired persons will be considered those who affirm that they are not engaged in gainful employment for more than 20 hours per week). Individuals who meet these requirements may apply for graduate admission, either as degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking students, and must meet all admissions criteria. Once admitted and issued the Golden Identification Card, senior citizens may register for courses in any session on a space-available basis, and use the library and other University facilities during the time they are enrolled in courses. Tuition will be waived for Golden Identification Card holders, but mandatory fees must be paid. Golden ID Card holders may register during the first week of classes for up to 3 courses; they may not pre-register. Please click here for more information on the Golden ID registration procedures.